Activities to do in nature
With the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, it’s sometimes hard to take time for ourselves. Tall skyscrapers and modern developments are common sights, and we often neglect to make our way into the natural world. Many people look out their windows and find it hard to see trees or grass or flowers while some people live in areas dense with Mother Nature’s offerings. Regardless of your situation, it is important that we all take time to truly enjoy nature and the peacefulness it brings. Getting outside to a remote area can have a major impact on the way we feel and therefore our overall wellbeing. Below are some simple activities you can enjoy in the open air.
1. Hiking: Hiking is not only an enjoyable activity, it is a great way to get necessary exercise and a dose of nature. Most areas have trails to traverse or nature parks you can roam around in and increase your health while basking in the fresh air. Pack a picnic lunch to have along your walk and/or a camera to take beautiful pictures of the scenery. Some locations may have mountains or hills that will not only provide a wonderful view, but will give you an even better workout.
2. Bird watching: Bird watching is something that is most successful in a solitary environment, which is why it’s very relaxing. The activity is simple and all you need is patience and binoculars. Many people also bring cameras if they wish to document the birds, or a guide with information on the different types of flying friends and the best areas to find them in. Bird watching is a great excuse to get outside and take advantage of all the elements in nature. Because it’s best executed in complete silence, it is also a great way to practice focus and to learn how to be peaceful.
3. Camping: Camping is something many of us have had the pleasure of experiencing at some point in our lives. This activity allows you to spend time outdoors in simple surroundings, using only basic necessities to operate. The extent of your camping lifestyle is up to you- you can be as primitive as you like, or even turn your trip into something luxurious. What you make of it is your decision, however the whole concept revolves around the fact that you’re spending time in the wilderness and getting away from the normal pace of life. Leave your cell phones and other gadgets at home and look at camping as the perfect opportunity to escape from technology and focus only on the present. Releasing your ties and changing your priorities will open a new train of thought that will be rewarding, and a perfect time for inner growth.
4. Canoeing: Canoeing is great because it takes place on water and therefore has many elements that aid in creating a peaceful atmosphere. Because a canoe does not operate on a motor engine, it is quiet as it glides through the water and it drifts with ease. You control the speed of the canoe with your own body movements, and it’s a great way to build your upper body strength. The water offers a different prospective on your location, one that you don’t normally see when you’re on land. Not only are you likely to see underwater life, but also the plants and animals that reside in the areas near water. Since the water is not as populated with trees, leaves and other things that can distract your vision, it provides a clearer vantage from which to observe. All animals need water, so don’t be surprised if you encounter some on your voyage!
5. Gardening: Gardening is great because it can be done in the comfort of your yard. All it takes is an area that can sustain plant life, some plants, a few tools and your patience. Even though your backyard may not be as remote as some of the natural habitats, it’s a great way to access nature when you may not have the means or time to travel elsewhere. If you look closely, nature can be found most places, and creating a garden that you can enjoy will aid in making your own yard a natural attraction. The different things you plant will attract different birds, insects and animals, so you will have an array of wildlife to look at. Whenever life gets to be too hectic, you can simply step outside your door and enjoy something beautifully simple and wonderfully unrefined.
Regardless of who you are and what you do, everyone needs a break from time to time. The best way to escape is often making your way into the wilderness where there’s solitude. In the natural world, there’s no phones ringing or emails being sent- there’s just sounds of rushing water, winds whistling through the trees and birds singing their joyful songs.
Wellness isn’t just a physical trait, wellness is a state of mind; a state of being. To achieve true wellness is to become the best version of yourself you can be, inside and out. Doing so will lead to other benefits such as a longer, healthier life, happiness, and prosperity. Your road to the life [...]
[ read more... ]
Wellness isn’t just a physical trait, wellness is a state of mind; a state of being. To achieve true wellness is to become the best version of yourself you can be, inside and out. Doing so will lead to other benefits such as a longer, healthier life, happiness, and prosperity. Your road to the life you desire doesn’t have to begin with a vow of silence or a retreat to an Indian ashram, there are small things you can do in your everyday life that will improve the way you look, the way you operate, and above all- the way you feel. Here are just a few of the many things that can aid in your well being.
1. Eat Plenty of Organic Fruits and Vegetables: Your mother was right when she wouldn’t let you leave the dinner table without finishing your Brussels sprouts and broccoli! Vegetables are key components in a healthy lifestyle. Packed with essential vitamins and nutrients, fruit and vegetables give your body the nourishment it needs to perform its best. Organic foods are produced using limited synthetic materials and therefore, these foods are purer. The benefits of adding fruits and vegetables to your diet are limitless. Some of the most common fruits and veggies offer great advantages. For example, blueberries are packed with vital antioxidants and therefore help boost immunity and also help restore youthfulness, among many other things. There is a whole world of delicious fruits and veggies out there, each with their own advantages, ready to be picked and eaten! Dive in and enjoy these yummy treats while getting healthier in the process.
2. Exercise: It’s no surprise that today’s culture struggles with problems brought on by inactivity and overeating. When you don’t burn as many calories as you ingest, it is inevitable that you will gain weight, and this can lead to some dire consequences. Staying active and exercising not only helps in maintaining a healthy weight, it also releases your body’s endorphins, which in turn make you feel happier and more energized. Implementing a fitness regimen that incorporates cardiovascular and weight training will help your heart stay healthy and your body stay toned and agile.
3. Meditation: The act of meditating is often overlooked because it focuses on the spiritual needs of a person. To meditate is to think deeply for an extended period of time or to focus on looking within yourself in order to gain insight into your own sense of being. It is a very personal experience and, if done correctly, has the power to transport you to a world of complete relaxation. As remarked earlier, wellness is an all-inclusive concept and to be truly healthy, you must nourish your body as well as your mind. The wonderful thing about meditating is that it encourages an individualized approach. There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to meditation, because no one can dictate your thoughts, which is why part of the joy in the exercise is finding a ritual that works for you.
There are a variety of needs that a person must satisfy before achieving total health or wellness. Some may even argue that such a victory is impossible. However, one thing that’s for sure is that everyone is accountable for their own lives, and to take ownership and become proactive is the first step in ensuring that the life you lead is healthy, prosperous and happy.